Sunday, May 24, 2009

!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!

A couple of noteworthy anecdoes to weave into earlier posts:

Matt and Jordan have been keeping their eyes peeled for a casino that deals Texas Holdem, so on Thursday evening we pass a likely candidate. Curtis takes a stop, and the guy at the reception informs Matt that membership is required for entry. No trouble, though, since membership is both free and simple. While he's speaking with the receptionist, this pair of lads step in line behind us. They're about my height, a little stockier though and wearing the standard muted colors with jeans and several top layers much like 95% of the other Irish locals we've seen so far. While Matt finishes his paperwork, the guys flash their membership ID's and begin to move towards the casino entryway. Soon I realize that their target, however, is not the swinging doors but the corner of the room where I now stand leaning up against the wall. They look friendly enough, so at first I'm not too nervous. The bigger of the two moves ahead, however, and beelines it towards me, and before I know it he's posed a quarter meter (that's lss than one foot for all you Yankees out there) from my face. My heart's thumping pretty hard in my chest, and my hands subconsciously brace my body between the perpendicular frame of the corner. His body language and the sardonic smirk on his face reassure me that he hasn't accosted me to deliver a blow to the stomach, but I still don't know what to expect.

Only about two seconds have passed up until this point, and yet it feels like Neo has turned on bullet time. Finally, his mouth slowly opens and at once movement and sound return to a normal speed. With his face within inches of my own, he lets out a heavily accented "We'll see you crazy fuckin Amerian bastards later!" At the same time I feel two slight pinches towards the top of my chest. I look down to see the man’s hands grabbing my nipples. He gives them a playful yet firm twist, and then releases as my chest heaves, letting out a couple tons of air. Still not sure how I should react to this bizarre chain of events, I manage to get my vocal chords vibrating again and a nervous, forced chuckle falls out with my response. "Yeah, yeah we'll see you later." I blink and the two Irish blokes are gone. And I'm still alive. Cheers!

- jv

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha.
    That's wonderful..ly odd...?

    I visited Ireland in the fall, and had a thoroughly delightful time enjoying some strange Irish humor.

    ... if you can call titty twisters Irish humor.

    I hope you boys are being safe!
    I'm thinking of you and reading your blog.
    Woot woot!

    Love from America!!!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete