I write now from the Gatwick Express, the train we are taking to Victoria Station to meet up with Terry Wang (he flew into Heathrow from JFK) before taking on London. After waking Jordan up from his floor-slumber in Charlotte, we had a roughly 7 hour flight to London-Gatwick. The plane was huuuuuuge. It had 7 seats across in each row, configured as 2/3/2. I ended up seeing Gran Turino and Seven Pounds while intermittently sucking down some so-so airplane food (choices were alfredo pasta or bbq chicken), both of which (the movies, not the food) were excellent – I highly recommend Clint Eastwood’s Gran Turino.
When we arrived in London, we made our way through an extensive maze of hallways to find the entrance to customs and the UK. I’m sure that me stumbling from lack of sleep, Jordan dancing and singing down the corridor, Bninski joking about Josh Veit stealing US passports, and Josh Carroll continuously refering to his new friend “Rick” (the Euro guidebook) made for a wary sight. We bought tickets for the Express from some currency exchange place after avoiding their roughly 7.5% premium to the spot and headed to the tracks. After momentarily pausing to check for some secret-Harry-Potter false brick wall at the station, we boarded the train to central London.
I just got a call from Terry saying that he had landed and that he would meet us in an hour at the tourism center at London-Victoria. We’re thinking of hitting up the British Museum, Hyde Park, the Tower of London, Tralfagar (sp?) Square and/or a few other places before heading back to the airport and flying to Dublin around 6am.
Onward!
[matt]
Wednesday, May 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment